Hey! Look at this!

Friday, March 16, 2012

Sausage and Cabbage Soup/Stew

So I took a mental health day from work yesterday, since I wasn't feeling so hot. Around lunch time I whipped up some soup for me and the man, and it was DE-LISH! Best of all, it was soo easy, and Paleo! Yay :-D

I only got one picture (on my iPhone).. The light in the kitchen was bad, and honestly I just didn't feel like getting my camera.

Cabbage and Sausage simmering away
Here's what you'll need:

1 head of cabbage
1 lb of sausage (I used hot sausage)
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
~1.5 quarts chicken stock (I used what I had from this chicken)
Optional: tomato paste (I use the stuff in a tube. It's just tomatoes and salt)
Coconut oil, or whatever fat you want (about 1 Tablespoon)

1.    Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, and soften.
2.    When onions have become transparent, add the garlic.
3.    After a few minutes, add the sausage. I have also used beef, in a similar soup, and it is very good as well.
4.    While the sausage is browning, roughly chop your cabbage.  I find it easiest to quarter it, then cut out the core, and slice it up.
5.    When the sausage is browned, add the cabbage on top, and pour about 1 cup of the chicken stock in. Turn the heat up to medium-high, and put the lid on the pot. Let it sit for a few minutes. (I didn't time this, maybe 5 mins, or a little less?)
6.    Add the remaining liquid and about 1.5 teaspoons tomato paste, and stir everything up. You can use more or less liquid, depending on your taste. I used about 1.5 quarts, and my soup was more stew-like. It could have used more liquid, but we were hungry, and didn't feel like thawing any stock.
*NOTE*  I did not measure how much tomato paste I used, I just eyeballed it. I wanted a slight tomatoey flavor, and I added a few squirts, until it looked right. 1.5 teaspoons is just a guess. This could definitely be optional.
7.    Season to taste, and let it cook for about 10 minutes back at medium.  Cook until the cabbage is cooked to your desire. If you like it crisp, a little less; if you like it limp, a little longer.

I even brought some of the leftovers to work with me today! Yumm!

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as us.

Peace y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment