Hey! Look at this!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot

I cooked a whole chicken in a crock pot for the first time this weekend. It turned out SOO good! It was moist, tender, and left enough juice to have some gravy and make stock!!

The Slow Cooker Chicken with Beets for dinner



Here's what you'll need:

1 whole chicken - I got my free-range organic dude at Trader Joe's
1 sweet onion - I almost always use sweet onions, cause I love them, like to an unhealthy level. I'm sure you could use a white onion too
1 lemon, halved
salt, pepper, any other spices you like


1.    Take the chicken out of the package, wash off, and make sure there's no giblets inside - mine didn't have any :-(
2.    Slice the onion, and line the bottom of the slow cooker with the slices
3.    Put the chicken on top of the onion, squeeze the lemon halves over the chicken, and stick 'em inside the bird. Then season to your liking.
4.    Put the lid on, and let it cook on low for 8ish hours.

That's it!  You do not need to add any liquid. You'll know the chicken is done when you go to cut into it, and it falls apart.  The onions on the bottom get all caramelized and yummy! Don't throw out those bones yet though...

I took some of the chicken juice and made a quick gravy.  Just a few ladles full of juice, and a little cornstarch (yeah, yeah I know.. I haven't gotten a chance to go get arrowroot yet)..

 So to make a stock with the chicken juice, just pull all the meat out of the slow cooker. Leave the bones and all the juices. Add some water (I just filled it up to where there were crispies on the side of the crock pot). Let that baby simmer on low overnight, and in the morning, you'll have a dark rich stock.  Just strain out the bones and bits into a jar.

Peace y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment