Hey! Look at this!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Sweet Potato Latkes

Saturday morning I made up these DELICIOUS Sweet Potato Latkes topped with bacon and eggs.  They were filling, delicious, and fast! I'd say definitely a winner!!



Here's what you'll need for the latkes:

3 sweet potatoes

chopped onion to taste (I used a couple tablespoons)

2 eggs

cinnamon, salt, & pepper

coconut oil (I used extra virgin, although unrefined; or any fat would be good)


1.    Take the sweet potatoes and grate them.  I don't have a large-size grater right now (yeah, yeah) so I used my spiralizer and the roughly chopped up the spirals... It was close enough!

2.    Beat the eggs, and add the sweet potatoes, onion, and spices to them.

3.    Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, and pile the potatoes in little "cakes".  I found it easiest to scoop them with my hands, and then pour a little bit of the egg on top, that way it got a little crust on the bottom, and could flip.

4.    Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, or until brown and cooked through.  I topped each latke with 1 slice of bacon, and 1 basted egg.  Keep reading to see how I did that...

For the eggs:

1.    Heat you skillet over medium low heat, and add a healthy scoop of bacon grease.

2.    When it gets nice and hot, crack your eggs directly into the pan.  *Note* Don't overfill the pan. I did two at a time.

3.    You want there to be enough grease to cover most of the egg white.  While the eggs are cooking, spoon some of the grease over the exposed white and yolk.  Do this until the egg is cooked to your liking. I like mine really runny, so it doesn't take very long.

4.  Scoop out, and you can save that grease for more eggs, or another time!




Peace y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment