Hey! Look at this!

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Easy Egg Muffins

This is an amazing make-ahead breakfast. They are fast, easy, filling, and YUM.

Please excuse the shitty picture.. Clearly I had some egg overflow...
Here's what you need:

12 eggs
1/2 lb. sausage
Spinach
Onions
Peppers
Mushrooms

1.    Preheat the oven to 350
2.    Plop the sausage in a pan, on med-low heat, and start browning while you chop the veggies.
3.    Prepare the veggies (I just chopped everything up, and left in separate piles.
4.    Crack all the eggs into a large bowl, and whisk. I added salt, pepper, & (salt-free)creole seasoning to that
5.    Once the sausage is browned, remove from the heat.
6.    You can either line your muffin pan with paper liners, or grease.
7.    Add in your veggies. I did a few variates - all with sausage (spinach, onion, pepper; mushroom, onion, spinach; pepper & onion; and spinach & onion)
8.    Add in eggs. I used a quarter-cup as a scoop, but didn't fill it to the top.
9.    Add sausage, and bake for 20-25 mins, or until the eggs are set in the middle.

Here are the issues I had my first time:
  • I used liners, and I'm gonna be honest.. The eggs stuck.
  • The muffins were over-filled. It didn't seem so at first, but as they were cooking, I had some egg-splosion, as you can see above.
  • The spinach was all on top, and kinda crispy. Not bad, but a little odd. I think this is because I added the ingredients in a different order than above. I did sausage first, then eggs, then veg.
Here is what I plan on trying:
  •   I'm going to try adding some oil to the eggs to see if that helps the sticking. If that doesn't I'm going to try greasing the liners. I want to use liners, since it makes taking them on the go easier.
  • I'm going to use a little less sausage and veg per muffin
  • I'm going to add the ingredients in the order above. My logic is that maybe the sausage will weigh down the veggies.
You can also use bacon. If you want it crispy (yum), cook it first. If you like it chewy, then put it in the muffins raw.


Peace y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment